Vienna Gasometers, Austria
When they were built in 1899, the gasometers were the largest in Europe and remained in service until 1986. In 1995 planners brought forward their proposals for the gasometers in conjunction with architects; Coop Himmelb(l)au, Jean Nouvel, Manfred Wehdorn and Wilhelm Holzbauer, with each architect designing one of the four gasometers. The overall project comprises 615 apartments on the upper levels, mid-level offices and a three level retail mall connected by skybridges.
BDG McColl were asked by the developers to undertake the concept design of the retail areas and in their initial appraisal suggested that an adjacent area of land should be purchased and used to increase the critical mass of the retail areas and to provide a leisure destination to anchor the mall at the end furthest from the U-bahn station. BDG McColl went on to complete the schematic design of the retail and leisure areas.